The past week seems to have swept by like an unexpected breeze. I did continue with my walking program, four miles (6.4K) a day, six days this week. I achieved my fastest time to date. On Friday, I walked four miles in one hour and four minutes, 16 minutes per mile. I'm closing in on my goal of walking a 15 minute mile.
Continuing to build upon my home fitness accessories, I discovered a beautiful yoga mat at Whole Foods. The Tree of Life yoga mat from Gaiam has a tonal leaf pattern spreading from curving branches. I find the sage green hue relaxing. I'm excited to try it out this week.
My much anticipated replacement DVD player arrived midweek along with my ill timed monthly cycle. I decided to postpone adding core training until Monday. Unfortunately, the end of this week didn't seem an auspicious time for abdominal exercises. The DVD player kept me entertained with Lord of the Rings. The movies felt like a suitable backdrop as I explored the nether reaches of closets in search of weights and resistance bands.
|Hydrangeas, a Spring memory.|
I lost two pounds this week, bringing the total to 21 pounds since September 1st. I'm at a comfortable size, between a 10 and a 12. I lost the weight I gained over the past year relatively quickly. It was definitely a stressful year with my sister's illness, a major romantic breakup and financial issues. I am thankful my sister's health has improved dramatically. I am also grateful I have made the time to focus on my own wellness.
Behaviors that helped this week:
- Attending to the needs of my body while overriding my impatience and desire to stick to a plan. The mind/body issue can be tricky, especially since I have done similar workouts to the ones I have waiting by my DVD player. What looks familiar to my eyes is still going to feel new to my muscles.
- Cooking root vegetables and squash. I enjoy eating the fresh foods of the season. I prepared stir fries including beets, sweet potatoes and pumpkin this week. US ladies, check your grocery aisle for freshly cubed pumpkin. It's easy to prepare in a steamer basket and a nice alternative to zucchini.
- Trying new healthy foods. I picked up Lentil Sage Field Roast vegan deli slices at Whole Foods and tried Favorit Mango Peach Jam with my 0% Greek yogurt.
Goals for next week:
- Get started with P90X DVDs. My plan is to complete one yoga session and two strength training workouts along with my walking routine. Even though I would love to do the cardio portions of the program as they are outlined, walking is essential for circulation and healing of my nerve damage.
- Record the number of reps I am able to do along with the weights I choose for each strength training exercise. It's useful to be able to chart progress as well as to remember which weights were the most appropriate for me at this time.
How has your week progressed? I'm working on some future Health & Whimsy posts including topics about favorite snacks, body image and self esteem. You will also be seeing some new nail art this week before Sunday.
Health and Whimsy is intended to be a journal of my personal experience. Please consult a doctor before making changes to your health care regimen.
Happy painting, ladies!