I spent part of this past week fending off a cold. Thankfully my regimen of oscillococcinum (homeopathic), echinacea (herbal capsules) and Vitamin C (EmergenC brand powder), clementines and many pots of loose leaf, black tea kept sickness from progressing. I felt tired for a few days, but didn't have to endure any other cold symptoms. Since I am vigilant about employing natural therapies at the first sign of illness, it's rare for me to fully succumb to cold or flu. On average, I get sick once or twice a year.
By rearranging the order of the program, I was able to complete all six P90X workout DVDs. I did the yoga routine midweek when I had the least energy. As long as I'm not on bed rest, I think gathering the energy to stretch is possible.
|The sunflower stands tall.|
One of the benefits of doing a program that is more weight and resistance training than cardio is the body tones as it slims. While I didn't lose weight this week, I look like I did! I have visible biceps after two weeks of starting P90X and my waist is trimmer. I am happy to be building muscle, gaining strength and for my clothes to fit a little looser.
Behaviors that helped this week:
- Listening to my body. I took care of myself the second I was starting to feel run down and managed to stave off illness.
- Accomplishing what I could. While it would have been easier to skip a day or two, choosing a lighter routine when my body was tired helped me to stay focused and in turn served to energize me.
- Grabbing a chair! My friend David changed the seating in his cafe and I was able to claim a simple, sturdy chair for tricep dips and raised leg lunges.
- Reading fitness magazines regularly. My favorites include Health, Women's Health, Fitness and Shape. Self Magazine is good for a fashion/fitness combo. Having these on hand is useful for tips and ideas. A stack of fitness magazines can serve as visual reminder of health and exercise goals.
Goals for next week:
- Keep portions under control. There's nothing wrong with having a treat during the holiday, but I intend to keep my focus during the week and not indulge leading up to the weekend.
- Sticking to my workout routine. I am already scheduling exercise around work and holiday related errands.
How was your past week? Do you have a game plan for healthy eating and fitness over the holiday?
Health and Whimsy is intended to be a journal of my personal experience. Please consult your doctor before making changes to your health regimen.
Happy painting, ladies!